The livestock and the environment flagship works towards a reduced environmental footprint and enhanced positive ecosystem services from livestock systems that are adapted to environmental change. It:
- Assesses the environmental sustainability, efficiency and adaptability of livestock production technologies
- Optimizes natural resource use and enhance the provision of ecosystem services – exploring, testing and disseminating innovative livestock management solutions with end users
- Develops and supports improved institutions and other governance mechanisms for environmental solutions
- Unique role: to contribute evidence to the global debate on livestock and the environment that is particular to the developing world; and using field research to provide context-specific solutions
8. What are the most promising livestock research solutions or interventions we need to discover – or deliver – to meet the world’s environmental challenges? How do we achieve these?
See comments below